The PWG MASSE would like to combine several established concepts with future trends in GNC and Solar System exploration to define a simple but robust and scalable mission architecture to simultaneously explore diverse and unknown targets in the Solar System.
The main objectives of the MASSE study are:
- Generating a robust system design that can cope with multiple target scenarios.
- Have a flexible but reliable GNC system for flyby trajectories with unknown bodies.
- Target selection and trajectory optimization of multi-target tours.
- Design of general solutions that target asteroid exploration.
- Development of accurate mathematical description of the spacecraft dynamics around irregular objects in a flexible framework to deal with unknown environments including binary systems.